Thursday, February 4, 2021

Thomas Connellan Only A Madman Persists In His Mistake


When I was 13, I was taken from my parents' home in the west of Ireland, where I was happy, and placed under the care of a religious community in a neighboring town called Sligo. My parents had assigned me to the priesthood. The members of that community made the three usual covenants of chastity, poverty, and obedience. They had come from France and saw their mission above all in educating poor children. I spent three years with these monks. Looking back in time, I can say that it was a happy time.


Preparation for the priesthood


I graduated the first three years of high school at an institute in the diocese of Athlone, then went to Maynooth to a school that was primarily concerned with the training of future priests. There I was so isolated from the world, as if I lived in an underground bunker. The atmosphere in Maynooth was marked by a dark spirit of slavery. Any independent thought, any autonomous action was slowed down, disapproved and denounced.


On June 20, 1880, I became a Roman Catholic priest. I was first sent to a parish in Strokestown, then moved to my bishop's new headquarters in Sligo, where I was a part of the parish staff for four years, and finally given a parish in Rosecommon.


Like a galley slave


It was in 1887, when my bishop instructed me to preach in the cathedral, on Easter Sunday, on the subject of "transubstantiation." The occupation with this theme has triggered great depression and discouragement, as well as many torturous doubts. I realized from then on that I had to separate from Rome, yet I was in a terrible dilemma. My parents were still alive; my sisters and brothers, from whom I had been chosen for the priesthood, looked upon me as a superior being, and I had many good, honest, precious friends, whose appreciation meant much to me.


Under these circumstances I saw no way of escaping, and I felt as enslaved as a rowing galley. So I was there, doing my duty and living a life I knew was full of hypocrisy and lies. I longed for deliverance and peace, but consideration for my loved ones kept me chained in this galley. About nine months before I left the Roman Catholic Church, I was moved to Athlone. The longest river in Ireland, the River Shannon, flows through this city.


Just north of Athlone is Lough Ree, a romantic lake. I often retired there to forget about my problems. At that time, my spiritual condition was quite critical, I could barely eat and sleep. The only thing that kept me going was the hope of an imminent release.


"Death" by drowning


I finally came up with a brilliant plan. I will walk on the lake with a bundle of clothes, which I will hide on the shore. Back on the lake, I'll take off my priestly cassock


and I will leave her in the boat, and I will swim ashore, and I will put on my clothes, and I will be gone. Everything went as planned. Rosecommon Messenger and other newspapers appeared in large letters announcing my death. The city council and the police also expressed their regret, and the diocesan official sent a letter of condolence to my father. After so much attention to my death, there was no danger of anyone recognizing me.


But I was now a free man. I took the train to Dublin, where I was able to sleep peacefully again after months. Then I went to England, and a few hours later I appeared in London's Euston station in a crowd of five million. I didn't know anyone and no one knew me.


After a few days, I held the position of deputy chief of staff in a weekly newspaper. Now I had only one longing: a true communion with the living God.


God's goodness to me


By the grace of God I met W. Webb-Peploe, a humble servant of God, through whom I learned what an authentic Christian faith is. I have found salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ, and I know that I have no reason to be ashamed of His message. Now I can say with Paul, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For in it is revealed the righteousness of God from faith to faith; as it is written, "The righteous will live by faith" (Romans 1: 16-17).


"Therefore as by the offense of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one shall the righteousness of all men be unto life" (Romans 5:18).


I started publishing a newspaper called "The Catholic," which found a large audience. I also wrote the book Hear the Other Side , as well as some treatises. My blood brother Joseph also returned to the Lord Jesus Christ.


We conduct Bible lessons together during the week at the Dublin base of our mission in order to reach the lost Roman Catholics, that they too may be saved and pass from darkness to light, from the power of Satan to God.


No man is immune to deception. However, only a madman persists in his mistake.


The fools cannot stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers ” (Psalm 5: 5).


Thomas Connellan soon made known to his parents the real reason for his disappearance, and later returned to Athlone as a preacher — only a madman persists in his error of the true gospel. In January 1917 he came home to his Lord, loved by many who heard through him the biblical message of salvation. Some additional information about him can be found in the book Why 854 Priests Left the Church of Rome by Albert Close.


(Translator: Olimpiu S. Cosma)


[Source: https://bereanbeacon.org/ru/numai-un-nebun-persista-in-greseala-lui/]


No comments:

Post a Comment