Wednesday, February 3, 2021

I Have Never Stopped Believing In The Charity Of The Lord


This is a letter received in our mailbox, which was responded to in a timely manner. From that moment we remain in contact with the sender.


A few months ago I left the Catholic priestly ministry. However, I would like to continue with the evangelical service. I would like you to write to me and tell more about your ministry and ... who knows ... God's ways are always surprising ...


As you can imagine, the decision to leave the priestly ministry was not easy and much less pleasant. After 13 years of seminary formation, I was ordained a priest in 1994. I served in the ministry for 11 years.


I was always critical of the abuses of ecclesiastical authority, especially that towards the brothers who, out of love for the Kingdom, wanted a more evangelical life and were repressed. 


During my years of ministry, I was a Parish Priest, Vocational Promoter, Professor of Philosophy and Theology, School Director, Coordinator of the Justice and Peace Commission in Latin America. Time passed and I felt that something did not meet my expectations.


After a time of reflection, I presented my doubts and my ideals to my Superiors. In all sincerity, I opened my heart to the desire to go out and start a family. In response, I was transferred from the Parish where I served to the United States, in order to see if I changed my mind. 


Three more years passed and the emptiness continued in my heart. When I again expressed my intention to leave the ministry for a time, what I received was a harsh reprimand from my Superiors and, as usual, the threat of receiving an expulsion process and the corresponding ex-communication. 


The truth, after almost 25 years of service I found the response to be disproportionate and unchristian. Although Roman Catholic law states that when leaving a brother should keep charity and provide help, what I observed was that all Catholic doors were suddenly closed.


I left the Ministry and when I left, I naively tried as I had done during my priestly service, to continue giving classes in theology, philosophy, and Sacred Scripture to support myself. However, it was not possible. "Someone" was always in charge of closing the doors to the "ex-priest." No ... it was not easy to restart.


I have never stopped believing in the charity of the Lord and much less have I questioned this Calvary that began since I left the Priestly Ministry. In spite of everything, I still firmly believe that God has a place reserved for me in His work. The desire to serve my brothers and sisters continues to burn in my heart. More than painful it has been for me to observe how many of those who were my brothers in the priesthood prefer to remain in status than to be faithful to the gospel.


Thank you for responding to my call. In these moments I believe that I am searching to find the true path that will lead me to be faithful to the Gospel. I would very much like, as I said before, to continue in the service of the Word. Maybe you, enlightened by the Spirit, have some option for me.


Thank you. I await your response.


X



This brief testimony has been published in "Know the Truth" with the consent of its author, whose name I have considered prudent to keep anonymous.

(Daniel Sapia-March 2006)


[Source: https://www.conocereislaverdad.org/testi_exsacerdote.htm]

No comments:

Post a Comment